I have been feverishness working on a new softer character shader, here is a preview of the progress.
In news, Closed Pre Alpha testing has begun, which means the the Open Pre Alpha is creaping ever nearer.
I just got done switching servers, which took a bit longer than I had hoped. But with the switch comes a site upgrade and clean up, plus I now have the freedom to add a Closed Pre Alpa – currently an Applet of the menu screen with Windows, Mac and Linux downloads on the way, just to make sure everything is working. After a short period of closed testing I will open the Pre Alpha and get to finalising the first gameplay tests.
I went looking for an screen grab to use as an image and found a video I took the other day.
I have been working on a cinematic/debugging/gameplay effect and used it on the title screen as a demo. The colours can fade rather than switch, still tweaking particles, lighting, length and mass.
The light both moves on its own and is user controlled here.
I was working on some cinematic effect and accidentally created a Tron like game. I might even clean it up and put it in.
And I know it looks super rough, I just recorded it as soon as I did it and slapped the video up, its not going to stay like that for long.
some game footage and an exclusive DJ rojek mix
I think I have figured out a neat way of filling in the volume of a mesh, here is the begining of the concept taking shape …
In this case the solid light is red, soon it will be a texture kind of.
another repost, this time about a Teleport effect…
Was working on a new effect over the weekend, thought I might share progress …
disclaimer – the bots behaviour in this video in no way reflect on my ability of a programmer =P, they have a nav mesh, but choose to ignore it.
Just found this post over at Real Time Rendering, very interesting article covering FXAA, worth sharing:
Some supporting material I generated while doucmenting the rim light shader. While working on this, or perhaps just afterwards, I discovered a bug that is quite visible on the early videos, the rim light is getting multipled by the number of lights in the scene… oops.
Another repost, early work done on a wet ground / puddle shader, part of “AHS One”.
So last night after work I had an idea on how I might be able to build a very fast and inexpessive puddle / wet ground shader, so I spent a few hours knocking out the basics, tidyed it up just now and thought I would share the progress, I’m pretty happy so far, still a way to go yet though.
(I recommend you watch it 720p, looks way cleaner)
The video starts with dry normal ground, it is some free dirt texure I found online. The big blue ball grows to reveal the puddle shader applied to the same material.
The puddles are based off the parallax map, the shader assumes ‘low’ areas are full of water. In theory it works with any ‘ground texure’ with a parallax map. It’s pretty ‘analogue’ in that you can pass a value from 0 (no water) to 1 (completely covered in water) or anwhere in between, so it will support varying amounts of wetness or heaviness of rain.
I plan to pair this with a rain effect and fake rain drop distortion applied to the reflection.
To start things off I will repost some progress made several weeks ago on my custom rim light shader. This was the first media I had produced from “AHS One”, while still very much an early early work in progress, it shows the game starting to take shape.
The rim lighting is being applied to the big growing shere, there is subtle white rim light on the main character, a bright orange one around the bot. No post proccessing (besides pssm) is being applied as it makes the rim light less obviouse (great in production, bad when trying to demonstrate said rim shader).