I wrote a dissolve shader to use in mTheroyGame, and shared it with the jME community, this is all the supporting documention I drew up. It’s a bit of an insight into behind the scenes of working on the game. Documentation takes far longer than developing of the shader itself but its just part of development.
The Dissolve Shader uses a simple grey scale image as an animated mask to hide a material. It’s internal workings are deviously simple but immensely powerful.
I’ve been doing some work on beefing up particles, I would like to use them for a bunch more stuff so some enhancements are on the cards.
All the info is really in the video, make sure you watch at 720p.
Performance is virtually the same as the standard particle. At high FPS (800+) the new particles tend to be 3%-5% slower, but are far less susceptible to frame rate drops, and over time end up running faster. BUT …. this level of performance probably won’t stand up by the time I have finished all the enhacements.
I was going to wait until I had finished completely to share this but its ended up taking a lot of time, so an WIP update video it is, so I can feel like I have actually accomplished something.
In the mad rush to plug a few bugs in the First Alpha before it went live, I pulled out a bunch of features, which I’m now in the process of putting back in : rain + wet ground, fixed up Universe charge spheres, and numerous weapon effects among others I can’t think of right now. I have also added a few new features, most notably the neon trail effect from the menu screen and a new lighting gun (with projectile collision mesh the size of a cannon ball to temporarily address some CCD issues).
There are a few more features I would like to improve over the weekend then at some point in the next couple of days I will apply another feature freeze, address a couple of known ATI driver issues and low end machine compatibility, then the Second Alpha will be ready to launch.
I just got done switching servers, which took a bit longer than I had hoped. But with the switch comes a site upgrade and clean up, plus I now have the freedom to add a Closed Pre Alpa – currently an Applet of the menu screen with Windows, Mac and Linux downloads on the way, just to make sure everything is working. After a short period of closed testing I will open the Pre Alpha and get to finalising the first gameplay tests.
I went looking for an screen grab to use as an image and found a video I took the other day.